Glaws 1st Jan 2012

Saracens and Gloucester drew 15-15 at a rain-soaked Vicarage Road on New Year’s Day in the Aviva Premiership.
All points came from the boot of the goal kickers with Owen Farrell and Freddie Burns both on target with five kicks apiece and it took a 40 metre kick from the visitor’s fly half to level the scores with just two minutes remaining that meant both teams went home with two points each.
The heavy rain that descended upon Watford about an hour before kick off made for tricky conditions so it was no surprise that the boot dominated the first half with Owen Farrell and Freddie Burns exchanging penalties early in the match.
The score was 9-6 at the interval in favour of the home side with Farrell, who came into the starting line-up following the birth of Charlie Hodgson’s son Jack on the morning of the game, hitting another two kicks and Burns with a further kick of his own.
It was a similar story after the break with the rain continuing to drench Vicarage Road and within 10 minutes of the restart, Farrell and Burns had both been on target once again before Burns levelled the scores with 20 minutes remaining.
But with 10 minutes of the game remaining, a great kick chase from the home side resulted in a penalty and when the visitors kicked the ball away, referee Sean Davey marched play forward 10 yards giving Farrell a simple kick at goal to retake the lead.
But there was to be a sting in the tail as referee Davey intervened once again with the home side penalised for not releasing and Burns levelled the scores with two minutes remaining and it proved to be the final action of the match.
Saracens line-up: Goode, Wyles, Powell, Barritt, Short, Farrell, Stringer (Spencer 62), Gill (Smit 54), George (Brits 68), Stevens (Nieto 54), Borthwick, Botha (Kruis 62), Brown (Melck 62), Saull, Wray. Replacements not used: Mordt, Taylor
You can view the full gallery up on Flikr and all my photosets here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *